My Travels To Date

My Travels To Date
My travels to date -- so much left to see!

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

My First Military Tattoo

Eight full months before I was scheduled to depart for my vacation, I set my alarm clock for a very important date with destiny. Hours before daylight even had a notion of appearing on the eastern edge of the United States, tickets for the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo were going on sale to the general public in the United Kingdom, and it was my intention to snag the best seat that I could. I was only going to be in Edinburgh for a single night as a stopover between the Orkney and Ireland legs of my trip, so this was my one opportunity to score a highly coveted ticket. With the feverishness of a Hamilton fanatic on opening day, I knew I was not going to throw away my shot to see this show, so I promptly entered the online waiting room as soon as the ticketing queue opened, and I nervously awaited my turn. Time slowly dragged by until at last I was selected to proceed and book my ticket. I hastily ordered my premier seat, and felt a huge sigh of relief when the website’s processing symbol finally stopped spinning and my order confirmation appeared on the screen. My spot was secure, and I could finally rise up and seize the day…. by going promptly back to bed!

Fast forward eight months, and my airplane touched down on the Edinburgh tarmac with several hours to spare until my show was scheduled to begin. I flagged down a taxi, checked into my hotel room, and ambled down to The Royal Mile to explore the historic district. Scotland’s capital city has always been one of my favorite cities to wander around with its mix of medieval-style and Georgian architecture, culminating with the colorful buildings along the curved Victoria Street which is undeniably the most photogenic block of the whole city. Once the time approached to enter the castle esplanade, I shuffled my way through the bustling crowds and joined the throngs of excited attendees.

I passed through a series of security checkpoints and eagerly entered into the grandstands, finally setting eyes upon the dominating exterior of the impregnable castle’s stone walls. While being ushered to my seat, I pleasantly discovered that I was merely two rows beneath the top military brass with a view to die for. Turns out that my decision to buy my premier ticket the exact moment it went on sale was a worthwhile endeavor! The crowds quickly filled the temporary stadium seating, built to hold around 9000 spectators and hundreds of performers. Suddenly the overhead speakers came on, and the announcer officially opened the evening’s festivities in honor of Her Majesty The Queen’s 90th year. The royal show had begun!

What followed next was a dazzling production of military pageantry accompanied by music and dancing. Regiments of kilted soldiers marched in formation and played a rousing melody on the bagpipes to get the audience amped up. Various regiments from distant countries all around the world took their turns on the performance grounds and demonstrated displays of military prowess and precision. From weapons inspections to gun tossing to horsemanship to falconry, each routine was more fantastic than the previous. In a break from the military flourishes, there was a lively interval of highland dancing, as women exhibited their highland fling jumps while men leaped in synchrony over their swords, all to the backdrop of flames shooting up from the ground. Upon the imposing castle fortifications were projections of the waving Union Jack flag and other stirring video montages to inspire pride and patriotism.

As a grand finale, members from each country’s performing regiments combined into a singular marching force and filled the entire stadium floor for a monumental end to the evening. In perfect collaboration, the bagpipes, woodwinds, brass, and percussion sections joined in a beautiful rendition of The National Anthem and Scotland the Brave, stirring tears from the audience and a vigorous round of applause. To top off this unforgettable evening, a spectacular pyrotechnic display of fireworks was unleashed overhead in a dazzling array of colors and patterns, drawing everyone’s enraptured gaze skywards. Once the finale had concluded and the thunderous booms had subsided, I stood to my feet and slowly filed out of the stands with my heart thumping in jubilation and my arms covered in goosebumps from the emotive showing of the 67th Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Despite spending just one night in Edinburgh, I felt the weight of many centuries worth of the nation’s pride and heritage filling my entire being that evening, and I will always reflect back upon that memory with admiration.

The castle dominates the military tattoo

More military pageantry on display

Highland fling dancing

The Union Jack projected onto the castle ramparts


Victoria Street

Edinburgh Castle as seen from atop the Scott Monument

No comments:

Post a Comment